• 250g flour
• 200g cold butter
• 1 egg yolk, keep white to brush on pastry later
• 4 tablespoons cold water
• 2 tablespoons caster sugar to sprinkle on the dough just before it goes into the oven
1. In a food processor mix the flour and butter to form a bread crumb consistency.
2. Add the egg yolk and pulse until it is incorporated.
3. Add the water 1 tablespoon at a time, and mix until the dough pulls together to form a ball.
4. Cover the dough in plastic wrap and rest it in the fridge for 30minutes.
• ¼ cup poppy seeds
• ¼ cup milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• ½ cup raisins
• ¼ cup sugar
• 100g butter
• ¼ cup flour
1. While the dough is resting you can prepare the filling. Bring the milk to a simmer in a small saucepan.
2. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
3. Add the poppy seeds, vanilla, raisins and cinnamon and boil for 2 minutes. The milk will almost all be absorbed/evaporated.
4. Add the cocoa powder, flour and sugar. It should start to form a thick paste.
5. Add the butter and let it melt into the mixture. The mixture should look like a gooey paste.
6. Set the mixture aside in a bowl to fully cool.
7. Take the dough out of the fridge and cut two pieces of baking paper that are 40cm in length.
8. Roll the dough between the two pieces of paper to about 1mm in thickness.
9. Use a plate that is 27cm in diameter to cut round disk out of the dough.
10. Place the filling in the center and spread it outwards, as if you were creating a pizza. Leave 2cm around the circumference.
11. Using the baking paper as a guide, fold three sides of the pastry to form a triangle.
12. Crimp the edges so they are sealed.
13. Brush the egg white mixture over the pastry and sprinkle the sugar on top.
14. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until the pastry is golden.
Write a comment: