A guest post by Shay Har-Tzion
2 tbsp Olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, sliced
2 medium red peppers, sliced
1 medium aubergine, cut into 1cm cubes
400gr canned chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp Tomato purée
1 bay leaf
2 tsp Salt
2 tbsp honey
1/4 tsp flaked chili pepper
3 tbsp lemon juice
8 pitted black olives, roughly sliced
5g Parsley leaves, picked * (Please See KLBD Veggie Guide for cleaning process)
1) Heat olive oil in a large pan and fry the sliced onions for 1 minute. Add sliced garlic and fry for another minute.
2) Add red peppers into the pan and fry for 2 minutes while stirring.
3) Add the aubergine cubes and continue to fry the mixture on medium heat for another 3-4 minutes.
4) Add canned chopped tomatoes , tomato purée, honey, salt, lemon juice, bay leaf, flaked chili and half of the water (100ml). Mix well and continue to simmer for 3 minutes.
5) Add the second half of water, and keep on medium heat for another 5 minutes while stirring.
6) Taste and fix seasoning, dish should be salty sweet with a lemony kick.
7) Remove from heat and let the dish rest for 30 minutes.
8) Arrange in a serving dish, sprinkle over the sliced olives, parsley and lemon zest
Serve as a side dish with chicken / lamb dish or on its own with toasted bread.
Did you like it ? Do you have any questions? Let us know! Enjoy